Thursday: Elena, one of the students in my English course, brought a cake. I teach the advanced/conversation class, and we talked about the political situation, education, jobs, catholicism...and all of them trying to discuss these topics in their limited English vocabulary. It was the best thing. Marco, one of the older men, spoke in Italian almost the entire time just making jokes and going on and on...everyone was so into it. At 8:00, Italy was officially without a pope and without a president. So we celebrated. I learned un bel po. One of my favorite nights of the mission.
Friday: On our way to an appointment in the morning, an investigator that Slla Ivory and I had tried so hard to help called us. She called us. After all this time! That night we met the wife and children of one of the men who comes to Slla Comollo's English course. He invited two other friends, and we went out for pizza and got to know them better. The two other men are just rich older bachelors. One of them, probably in his sixties, is covered in tattoos and was more than happy to show us each one. A picture of his dog on one calf, his parents on the other... ''Faith'', ''hope'', ''life'' and ''pain''...lots of good ones. Funny and sad at the same time.
Saturday: Visited some families. Divorce/separation is so hard. That night we were in a smaller city and a boy passed us with a scarf covering his face. I saw his eyes though, and it was the friend of a deacon in Ladispoli. I called out his name and he turned around and ran back to us. I asked him ''how's water polo?'' He must not have understood me, because he responded, ''The Book of Mormon? Yeah, I'm reading it. We need to have dinner together again.'' What are the chances that we would even see him? There are no coincidences.
Sunday: We got a phone call from a man named Giani Stella in the morning (yeah Dad, Johnny Star...you know what I thought of?). He wanted to know what time church started and if he could meet us at the station. He came to all three hours, and of course it was fast sunday. Testimony meeting was great, he seemed really interested...so we're pretty excited.
Monday: After district meeting we got off the metro by the spanish steps and went to Villa Doria Pamphili. It was the best thing ever. The prince narrated the audioguides, and I loved going from room to room learning about the history of the family, especially Filippo Andrea and Mary Talbot. Every time I go to a gallery I pick a painting I've never seen before that I just love or think is...different. At Villa Borghese it was ''Ragazzo che ride'' (look it up, it's a goodie). Here, my favorite was Pieter Breughel the Elder's ''Battaglia Navale nel golfo di Napoli.'' Oh my goodness. The colors, the detail...I loved it. I wrote a novel about it in my journal that night, about Breughel and what he did in Italy...humanities major, sorry. When I saw Filippo Lippi's ''Annunciation'' in the last room of the gallery, I can't even describe how I felt. I am so grateful to be here. Then we went to San Pietro in Vincoli, saw the chains that held Peter, Michelangelo's ''Moses'', walked all over the place around the colosseum and forum, went to the Pantheon...it was just a great day.
Tuesday: At English course someone pulled out the Lyrics to ''Come Away With Me'' by Norah Jones, and said for another class they had to take the english lyrics and translate them into Italian or something. A man in the class pulled out his iPad, brought up the song on YouTube and handed it to me. It was one of those videos with the lyrics and every now and then a pic of Norah with some pretty great special effects and slide transitions. It was a little awkward...but one of the funniest things.
In my class there's a father and two sons, Muhammed, Abraham and Ahmed from Libya. They barely know anything but come to the advanced conversation course because they want to learn faster. The older brother was trying to say that he liked playing soccer and liked watching basketball. I asked if he had a favorite team and he didn't understand. Someone in the class tried to help and said ''chicago bulls?'' but I though he said ''sh£$ of the bulls'' and I said without even thinking ''bull (s word).'' Terrible, right? It was the worst! I don't think I've ever said that in my life. Only one person heard me or understood, thank goodness, but both of us were laughing so hard...oh man. Tuesday and Thursday nights are the best...you never know what's going to happen.
Wednesday: We had lunch with someone in English course today, and she invited this older man. On the table there was half a bottle of wine, and while she was cooking he downed the whole thing. He played his guitar and I sang beatles songs with him while my companion helped cook. I always hear people talk about how on your mission there are certain people that you just click with. He told me his life story, we both cried. After bearing my testimony of the plan of salvation he asked, ''Do you really believe that?'' ''I know it.'' It was an experience I'll never forget. I learned more from him in those few hours...sheesh. Missions are the best. So hard sometimes, but so worth it.
I love you all so much! Thanks for all of your support, and above all for your examples! Have a great week!
Jenni





