Hi! Sorry I haven't written for a while. The only place to do internet is a bus ride away, and if our plans change on p-day or the place is closed for some reason, our only other option is to do internet in the genealogy center at the church. There are two computers there and three of us...so it ends up not being very convenient. Being here just makes me appreciate the little things that I took for granted so much more. Internet, a functioning computer, a smart phone...I heard Christi's mission might be getting iPhones and iPads this month? Anziano Teichert's cousin is in her mission and said something about that. So cool! Ahhh there have been so many times after hours of finding with no results when I wished I could just show people a mormon message or the church website. Telling them about it...there's not a huge chance they'll go home and look it up on their own. Technology can do so much good.
That also reminds me...Dad, thank you so much for that article about The Book of Mormon musical, missions, misperceptions...I loved it. I have actually been thinking a lot about what it means to be called as a missionary, a representative of Jesus Christ. I think missions are so underrated. I definitely had no idea how much I would learn, how much I needed to learn...and how Heavenly Father was going to use this 18 month period of time to help prepare me for the rest of my life. I thought I was going on a mission to teach people. I am realizing every day that I am being taught more than I could ever hope to learn on my own, and that we're nothing really, instruments in the Lord's hands at best when it comes to this work.
This week I was feeling like my efforts were so small, like I wasn't making a huge difference in this area, like I wasn't the best trainer that these two sisters I'm serving with deserved. I had good intentions, I was trying, but I felt like..nothing. On Tuesday I was going through some things and reread one of the letters from my first month in the field. It made me cry a little. The things that were written were an answer to my prayer that day, and exactly what I needed to hear. And then a friend's email...kind of along the same lines, about how yes, God is all powerful and just perfect...but his work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. He wants us to be like him, more than anything else! He wants us to have a fullness of joy.
I read another talk this week that mentioned the fact that when we feel chastened or do some self-evaluation and don't like what we see...it's just even more evidence that Heavenly Father loves us. He gives us counsel and those feelings so we will change and keep trying to better ourselves, so we don't get comfortable with where we are but so we are constantly improving.
Like you said, it's incredible to realize how he has a perfect plan laid out for each of us, so we can meet certain people and go through experiences tailored to us. He loves us so, so much! More than we will ever be able to comprehend.
The people here in Taranto..there are some investigators who have changed my life forever. I love my companions too, and am so happy.
So thanks for your letters each week, for your examples, your advice, your patience. This work, the gospel...awesome. I am learning so much, and just feel so grateful to be having this experience.