It's so hot, and it's only April. Someone told me this week that in Taranto it goes straight from winter to summer, that spring is just skipped. I'm dying in short sleeves and a skirt...the poor anziani! I don't know what I'm going to do in July and August. But I just think of Michael serving past the Arctic Circle and realize that I wouldn't trade him for anything, haha. I'd take the heat over cold any day. It's kind of funny, everyone here dresses to the calendar. People are still walking around in fur-lined coats and scarves. So the way we dress makes it even more obvious that we're Americans. In Rome it was fine, there were so many stranieri that we just kind of blended in. But here...ok I have to tell you a story. The past three p-days we had planned to play soccer and every time plans changed, so we haven't really seen any of Taranto. So Smed and I went to the castle last week. We got there and went through the whole thing with a field trip group, and it was just the funniest thing ever. We were probably the first Americans some of these kids had seen, and by the end of the tour they were just swarming around us, ''how do you say 'Giovanni?' John. 'Giacomo?' James. 'what is your name?' a thousand times...the naval officer giving the tour told us he just had to accept the fact that we were cooler than the castle. I felt a little bad for him, but it was pretty entertaining. Even the teachers would say ''leave the girls alone'' and then ask the same questions themselves and try to say things in English...it was hilarious.
I have to tell you about my English course. Last Thursday we were talking about dream jobs, where we would live of anywhere in the world, etc. This one guy said he wanted to be the manager of a soccer team. I asked which one...he told me Inter. Good choice, right? Anyway, I said ''okay, we're changing the subject. Everyone has to tell me their favorite team and why.'' The guy next to him is the one that's a little older, a little crazy...he should probably be in the intermediate course, but I'm glad he comes to mine because he always says the most hilarious things. Anyway, I asked, ''so what's your favorite team?'' ''Yeah, sell ice cream on the beach! In Cuba! Yeah, the beach! Haheheh, the ice cream. On the beach!'' ''No, what's your favorite team? Squadra. Calcio.'' ''Yeah the beach! It's nice.'' Almost everyone tried to explain in Italian what the question was. ''Oh I get it. Yes, on the beach. Super. Wow. So nice.'' It's impossible to explain him through an email...but it's like this every time. We've got this one guy who imitates him perfectly...and I just laugh so hard when we're together. I love everyone who comes.
And listen to this. Mirco, one of the guys who comes, in his twenties, friends with a member in Statte, was leaving for work near Madrid on Saturday morning. We had planned to go out for pizza with whoever wanted to come from English course, but I didn't think he'd come, or that many would come for that matter. Saturday night Alessandra drove us to the restaurant...every single person from my class was there. Mirco even brought his girlfriend. Who would spend their last night at a pizzeria with a bunch of random people and some missionaries? It was the best thing. Seriously, english course is the highlight of my week.
Laura and a family from English Course came to Anna's baptism on Saturday, and it was a really special experience. This has been the best week in Taranto so far! The work is definitely different here. Finding is a little hard. In the city it's a little...not dangerous to talk to the men, but even on buses and things...let's just say it doesn't seem to yield the right results, haha. I love it though, and have never felt uncomfortable. I know if we're doing our part and being smart, there's nothing to ever worry about. With the bus system and almost two-week sciopero after Easter it was hard to visit people, but we're learning patience, right? I know everything happens for a reason. Our numbers haven't been very good, but every day we are doing as much as we can to help the few investigators we have.
Anyway, on Sunday our bishop released one of his counselors and called him to be the ward mission leader! We had correllation yesterday, and he told us about his plan to get the members involved...so inspired. I was near to tears throughout the whole thing, and am just so, so excited to be serving here at this time. Through the ward members...things here are going to turn around. Things are going well though, and can only get better. I'm trying to figure things out and get to know people better so the next transfer we can be ready to do whatever the Lord expects of us and help strengthen the ward here. What a privelege to be here at this time...I am just so grateful every day for these experiences!
I'm looking forward to Zone Conference tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes!
Anyway, on Sunday our bishop released one of his counselors and called him to be the ward mission leader! We had correllation yesterday, and he told us about his plan to get the members involved...so inspired. I was near to tears throughout the whole thing, and am just so, so excited to be serving here at this time. Through the ward members...things here are going to turn around. Things are going well though, and can only get better. I'm trying to figure things out and get to know people better so the next transfer we can be ready to do whatever the Lord expects of us and help strengthen the ward here. What a privelege to be here at this time...I am just so grateful every day for these experiences!
I'm looking forward to Zone Conference tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes!