"For what it’s worth, it’s never too
late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time
limit, start whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no
rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make
the best of it. I hope you see things that stop you. I hope you feel things
that you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of
view. I hope you live a life that you’re proud of. If you find that you’re
not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."
I'm here! This past week has been
incredible... I don't even know where to begin. Getting all twenty-seven
missionaries through the airport in Salt Lake was definitely an adventure, but
after that and going our separate ways in Chicago, things were great. Once we
got to Rome I couldn't find my biggest suitcase. I waited in lines, was
directed to different places, the whole time trying to communicate with what
little Italian I had...and finally I got to someone who could help me. My
suitcase had been put on a different plane from London to Rome, but the flight
had been delayed. So Sister Bradford and two of the elders waited for about
another hour with me while the rest of the missionaries went to meet President
Kelly. Everything worked out though. We rode with President Kelly to the
mission office, spent the night in the mission home, and the next day we met
our companions and headed to our areas.
As you heard, I'll be spending my first
transfer in Ladispoli with Sorella Abby Ivory. She is the best! She trained Laura
Sudweeks here before me, so if you go to Laura's blog you can read all about
the area, our investigators, etc. (sistersudweeks@blogspot.com). I am so excited
to be here. We're in the Rome zone, but a little farther north and closer to
the coast. It is beautiful! Our apartment is a block away from the ocean, and
we go running by the beach every morning...it's just the best.
On Friday I had my first lesson with one of our investigators, Maureen. She lives in Capronica, so it takes almost all day whenever we go to teach her. She and her eight year old son have baptismal dates for the end of this month, but there's still a lot to do before then. The guy she lives with isn't interested in the church at all, and before he and Maureen can be married he needs to finalize his divorce...which takes a long time, years, in Italy. He is supposed to meet with a lawyer this week, so we're praying that things will work out.
On Friday I had my first lesson with one of our investigators, Maureen. She lives in Capronica, so it takes almost all day whenever we go to teach her. She and her eight year old son have baptismal dates for the end of this month, but there's still a lot to do before then. The guy she lives with isn't interested in the church at all, and before he and Maureen can be married he needs to finalize his divorce...which takes a long time, years, in Italy. He is supposed to meet with a lawyer this week, so we're praying that things will work out.
That night we had a dinner appointment with
some members in Bracciano. Can I just say, I LOVE the food here...and so do the
Italians. That night I taught an English course for the first time, which
is something Sorella Ivory and I will do every Tuesday and Thursday. I teach
the "advanced" course, conversation, and for the entire hour we just
talked about food. One man spent over fifteen minutes trying to explain the
best way to cook pasta...it was great.
Saturday we had a few more appointments and took a train to Rome to watch General Conference. It was so good! Elder Holland's talk was incredible, but when President Monson made the announcement about missionary age, all I could think about was Christi. I can't tell you how excited I was when I read your email this morning...I just knew she would start her papers! She has appointments set up and everything. I still can't believe it! I couldn't be happier.
Sorry this letter is so short. So much has happened and I have met some of the coolest people, but I'll tell you about everything next week. We have to go meet some other sisters in Rome...at St. Peter's. I'm dying!
I love you all so much!
Jenni
Via Flavia 21
00055 Ladispoli
Italy
Or just send mail to the mission home. Never send packages here...they won't make it. Thank you!!
00055 Ladispoli
Italy
Or just send mail to the mission home. Never send packages here...they won't make it. Thank you!!