Monday, December 2, 2013

December 2, 2013

Pompei. A maze. (ing)

When it rains here, it rains all day...but that wasn't going to stop us this morning. I've been wanting to go to Pompei since I got here, and we finally went. Yes, it poured. But it was perfect.  

Halfway through we got a tour from an eighty three year old guide who took a liking to my companion. He pointed out lots of cool things ''that most tourists don't notice'' and it was really interesting, but he was kind of slow. When we realized we had fifteen minutes until we needed to meet the elders at the car, we apologized and asked him for the fastest way out. He sent us in one direction, and we followed the pathway until we reached...a dead end. Corn mazes have nothing on this place. It's so big. And the signs are few and far between...I guess normal people rely on guide books and tourist maps. Our thinking: we're not tourists, we live here, what need would we have of something like that? 

It was alright though, the anziani got locked in a little church they had gone in to explore and by the time they made it out, we were right at the entrance to the ruins. I love when things happen like that. Quick stop for groceries, the chinese store, and then to the church to try to email...(fingers are frozen.)

I'll finish this next week. Sorry! Giovanni just showed up.

I love you!!!