Monday, October 21, 2013

October 21, 2013

Transfer days always seem to be an adventure. And here in the bermuda triangle of trains...it only gets better. Everything started off well enough. Sorella Mathews had caught her train from Salerno to Catania, I got my ticket to Napoli Centrale, found a window seat amidst all these stranieri and we were off. I was catching up my journal, enjoying the views of vesuvius and capri, trying to figure out what these two men from bangledesh in front of me were talking about, when I realized that I didn't have our cell phone. Mathews had called Michele right before she left and I hadn't put it back my bag. Oh well? Things would work out.

I was supposed to meet the Napoli anziani and wait with them for Ghio to arrive, but I had taken an earlier train so they wouldn't be there yet. Anyway, I got to the station, got our return tickets and bought some boots. I didn't want to leave the station but didn't want to be picked as a tourist/alone...had to, right? I saw the white shirts and ties, we waited for quite a while, Ghio didn't show up on the next two trains, so we went to an internet point to check travel plans again. Ghio - Bari to Buckley - Battipaglia. Friday. Napoli Centrale? (yeah, there was the station name with a question mark. And Friday instead of Thursday). 

So we called the assistants, who told us she had taken a train straight to Battipaglia. So we started walking back to the station, I'd go back alone...and Ghio's standing outside with all of her luggage. What a mix up. And you should hear her end of the story.

We made it home, Sorella Scherbel picked us up from the station, we got all of her suitcases into the elevator, into our apartment, kind of just exchanged this look...there was only one thing to do. Pizza. It was a perfect end to that day.

The Scherbels let us ride with them to Napoli this morning for pday. Dr. Wing is flying in from Frankfurt tomorrow to visit some of the hospitals here, and they wanted to check them out, figure out parking, etc.  So they dropped us off at museo capo di monte, we just soaked up all of the art and beauty, and took a bus to the national archaeological museum. All of the paintings from pompeii and herculaneum...way cool. 

We were waiting for them to pick us up and got some granitas, were waiting to cross the street, when these two Italian guys just start crossing into the oncoming traffic. In my head I'm thinking, ''nice, we should do the same, we'll never get across. These college kids know what they're doing.'' There was a husband and wife in the middle of the intersection waiting for the light to change, and these two guys ran straight up, one ripped the woman's necklace right off her neck and the other grabbed the man's wallet out of his chest pocket. It all happened so fast. We hear about this all the time, but it was ten feet in front of us. ''Alright, let's head back to that restaurant...''

I love serving here. I love how safe I feel as a missionary. Heavenly Father really does watch over us, and as long as we're smart and trying to be obedient, we need not fear. 

On the ride home we took the ''scenic route''. Vetro sul mare part of amalfi coast. I'll send pictures next week. The Scherbels are the best. ''Want to stop and get some sfogliatelle?'' ''Umm, of course.'' It's like having parents across the hall.

I'll be going back to Napoli Centrale on Thursday, and from there will take a train to Rome 2 for ''capi conference.'' It's exciting to see so much growth in the mission.

Things in Battipaglia are going well. We have to new investigators, Harlene (17) and Romina (12) from the Phillippines. They both came to church on Sunday and said they wanted to come next week as well. I was a little worried at first because there are no other young women and didn't know if they'd think primary was weird, or Relief Society too old...but they are just wonderful! There is a lot of good potential, and I know we are going to see miracles this transfer. 

I love you all so much! Michael with the LSAT scores...so exciting. 

Jenni