Wednesday, November 14, 2012

November 14, 2012


Good news... Sorella Ivory and I are staying in Ladispoli for this next transfer! There's a sister coming from Milan this week that President Kelly was initially going to assign to Ladispoli, but he decided to make a threesome in Rome instead so she can be at the mission office, be able to call her family whenever she needs, etc. So I'll be here at least until the end of December.

It sounds like Thanksgiving is going to be so much fun this year! I can't believe how much snow you've had already. It's still almost as hot here as it was at the beginning of October, but I can't complain.  As much as I love winter, while I'm here I'll take heat and humidity over rain and snow any day.

Every Monday night we go to the Garcia's for FHE. We bring investigators, teach a lesson, and then have dinner together. It's the best thing. Last week we invited the Distantes, a part member family.  The dad has been an investigator for years, has read the Book of Mormon twice, but we are trying to get him to understand how to apply it more to his life. So for the lesson we asked everyone to write down a question they had about the church, put it in a bowl, and then we had everyone draw one and use their scriptures and other church resources to come up with an answer. We should have been more specific, and asked something like "what are some questions that we as members are normally asked by people who don't know about our church."  Instead of what we were expecting, we started reading questions like "was Jesus married", "when will the Holy Ghost get a body", "was there blood on Laban's clothes after Nephi cut off his head? Why didn't Zoram notice it"...you get the idea. These would have been interesting to talk about with the Garcias, but with the Distantes there...I think it raised more questions than answered, haha. It all worked out though, and when Sorella Garcia brought out plates and plates of empanadas, all was forgotten.

This week we invited the Rosellis to FHE. Fabio told us he had smoked two cigarettes that morning, but was able to go without them the rest of the day. He was so nervous, but he was doing it! On Tuesday, he didn't smoke a single one. We got permission from President Kelly to stay out an extra hour tonight, and we're having a barbecue at their house. It's just incredible to see him make this change. I love their family!

I can't wait to hear where Christi gets called. I guess I'll find out next week! Thanks for all you do!

Jenni