Thursday, August 9, 2012

1st Letter from the MTC - Ciao tutti!

"You get a strange feeling when you're about to leave a place, like you'll not only miss the people you love but you'll miss the person you are now at this time and place because you'll never be this way ever again." (Azar Nafisi, Reading Lolita in Tehran)

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." (C.S. Lewis)

Hi everyone! It's hard to believe it's already been a week; the days go by so quickly. I don't have much time, so sorry if my thoughts are jumbled, but I'll try to get through as much as I can.

I love our zone! Everyone I've met is incredible. Our district consists of six elders and four sisters: Anziani Sargent and Jepson, McIntytre and Carr, Bird and Kasper (from the Olsen's BYU word), and Sorelle Brown, Hoppe, and Durfee. Sorella Durfee and I are pretty different, but she knows the scriptures, loves the gospel, and we're so eager to learn Italian and serve. Sister Hoppe is my favorite! She's from Germany and was an au pair in Spain for a year, so between her German, Spanish, English, and now Italian, she is hilarious! With her sarcastic sense of humor...we get along really well, haha. Her testimony is so strong. It's just so cool to get to know all of the missionaries here. They're awesome.

It's been amazing to see how much we've learned in the few days that we've been at the MTC. On our second day we had to teach our first "investigator" in Italian. I was able to understand most of what she said, but didn't have a way to respond with my limited knowledge of the language...it was pretty discouraging. We've only had a few classes since then, but I can already understand almost everything she says and we're to the point of asking her to be baptized. It's incredible what we can do with the Spirit. I would have never thought that learning a language this quickly was possible.

I've seen so many friends here! Sister Pearce of course, who will be here for about two more weeks, Sister Smith, Josiah DeCosta, CJ Bacon, elders from Timpview and classes at BYU...it's been great! I got to hear Sister Smith and her companions bearing their testimonies in Mandarin a few nights ago, and had to work to hold back the tears. It is amazing how the Lord can work through us...whom He calls He qualifies. I also met Joseph Smith (Elder Whitaker), the actor of Joseph in all of the restoration movies. He's great.

The fireside on Sunday was good, the MTC presidency spoke to us, and then the next day we got to eat lunch with President Brown and the Nalleys. We talked about their niece, someone named Kara Priday? Then at the devotional on Tuesday I got to sing in the choir, and Robert K. Dellenbach and his wife spoke to us. He repeated the phrase "I will give away all my sins to know thee" a few times, and I thought a lot about the things I need to change in order to really know my Savior. Until I stop thinking about myself, missing people, missing music, complaining about how sisters can't play soccer, :) I won't be able to have the Spirit fully, and I want it more than anything. Just like the people I'm preparing to teach, I have to go through a "conversion" process in a sense, and put my faith in the Lord and rely on him completely.

I have so much to say but my time is up. I love it here! It's tough, but so good. Thank you for your letters! I love you all!

Sorella Buckley

P.S. I sat in front of an Elder at the devotional on Sunday, and ran into him again at the bookstore yesterday. He asked if I had a brother that served somewhere starting with an N...Norway? He broke a finger and went to Rogan's and saw talked to you and Michael! I've never liked the phrase "tender mercies", but I don't know what else to call them. I feel like I've had so many here, with the people I've talked to, connections we've made...just being in the right place at the right time, knowing what to say...

Anyway, I love you! Have a good day!

Jenni